Change of state is a normal thing of teenager’s everyday life and developing his personality. But our crazy world often leads children to depression, and it is not easy to distinguish it from the usual conditions. Teenagers often can’t formulate experiences and talk about it. But it’s important for you to start a dialogue somehow.
Teens’ scale of depression increases with age and reaches its peak around 16-17 years. There is no exact and universal reason for the occurrence of depression, because the question is quite individual and includes a number of factors.
How to talk with a teenager correctly and protect him
The best way to talk to a teenager about depression is to accept his rules of conversation (never to impose your conditions). How to manage this process?
Let them see you
Indicate for a teenager that you are open to dialogue at any time, in any volume and on any topic. It is important to be cautious and not ask many questions. Please note that the patron’s model does not work here.
Give the right conversation vector
The beginning of the conversation (the offer to talk) often decides the future fate of the dialogue. One phrase can destroy everything or strengthen it. How can you begin to speak correctly? Take for example several universal options of “opening”.
Is everything OK? I’ll be there all the time if you want to talk about anything. Negative feelings are a very important experience and everyone collides with this from time to time. But if you feel that the negative is intensifying and does not go away for long, it is better to talk. It’s better than continuing to feel everything inside.
You look tired lately. How do you feel? – Answer – You would like to talk about this? – Answer – If you need anything, I’ll be there.
Specify the approval vector
It is important for you to hint casually that the school really can be a problem. “When you want to succeed in anything, you run into pressure.” Everyone goes through it, and this is normal.
Give an easy opportunity to get out of the conversation
Show the child that he can leave the discussion at some point a little later, without consequences and unnecessary questions on your part. For example, if you are talking on the way home from the store, he can stop it, as he will carry the bags.
Physical presence factor
This thing is very important in some situations. Discharge the situation before the conversation, creating comfortable in terms of physical conditions for the child. Sometimes you should not nag at them, and start a conversation in the everyday rhythm, while you are doing your housework.
Caution + easy persistence + openness, but without obsession
The first time you cannot get to start the dialog. Take this into mind and be persistent in the future, but try not to press on them.
Do not squeeze depression out of them by talking
Even if the thoughts seem trivial and meaningless, support what children said. “I understand you”. So they will return to you for new conversations and it will be possible to influence the situation in the long term.
How to see teenage depression
To see the early symptoms of teenage depression means to solve many problems at once. Even if you have documented the negative state of the child “here and now,” do not take this incident as temporary. Anything can go into a long period of depression.
Symptoms of depression in a child can be very different from adult ones, and may be indistinguishable. Let’s see what will become an indicator of anxiety for us.
Standard identifiers for depression are:
- Sadness or irritation;
- Alienation from family relations;
- Lack of interest in their daily activities and interests;
- Changing the mode and duration of sleep;
- Sharp change in dietary preferences;
- Excessive activity;
- Feelings of guilt and lack of value;
- Constant lethargy;
- Problems with concentration of attention;
- Influx of thoughts about suicide.
The picture of teenage depression looks a little different:
- Irritability against ordinary sadness;
- Presence of physical pain without medical explanation;
- The underlined sense of the incomprehensibility of their personality by the world
- Inadequate perception of criticism;
- Vulnerability to failures and failures;
- Abandonment of personal relationships;
- Loss of energy, leading to a decline in school performance and attendance;
- Facts about the use of drugs and alcohol;
- Low self-esteem;
- Alienation from reality through the computer and the Internet.
Keep everything said in attention every day and use it as problem identifiers for the child in the complex.
What to do if you identified children depression
- The main goal: to inform them that the condition is treatable. The accompanying feeling of helplessness of the child is also important for the loved ones, and for the child the surrounding ones support him. It helps greatly.
- Make it clear that this cannot go on forever and the feelings are able to come back to normal soon.
- If there are suspicions about suicidal tendencies, it is important to ask this question on the forehead, but without pressure. Such an action will help break the pattern inside the head of a teenager and it will be easier to cope with the problem in the psychologist’s office.
- Teach him to resist negative thinking.
- A simple walk in the street is a way to stimulate the same changes in the brain as taking antidepressants. Stimulate children for activity.
- Medications are not 100% panacea for depression, and they can have different effects on children. Let the doctor check the effect of medications as often as possible, supplementing the treatment with counseling.
- Depression is a physiological problem, and the child must realize this. Derive from his thinking the thought that depression is personal inferiority. Show how loved ones love and appreciate them.
- Involve the child in helping around the house or other simple and non-stressful activities to distract.
- Be patient and exclude from the discourse of comparison. Depression can comprehend anyone, and this is not a topic for reasoning about upbringing.